Literacy in a Responsive Classroom
During this week-long workshop, you will:
- Learn how to teach decoding and comprehension skills and strategies in Morning Meeting through sharing, activities, and the morning message chart
- Apply the following Responsive Classroom Academic Choice elements to reading, writing, mixed literacy work blocks, and learning centers: differentiation, planning, choice, active exploration, independent work, partner and small group work, accountability, and reflection and representing.
- Apply the Responsive Classroom modeling, practicing, and guided discovery approaches to literacy materials and the routines of reading, writing, and literacy blocks
- Organize classroom environment and instructions to maximize student independence and responsibility in literacy learning
- Learn ways to use children's literature for teaching social skills
- Adapt basal workbook exercises to active literacy-learning experiences that fully engage learners
Prerequisite: Responsive Classroom 1
This workshop can be presented on-site for your school staff. See School Services.
Note: Origins reserves the right to cancel workshops. Origins is not liable for any travel-related or other expenses incurred by a registrant or payee due to a canceled workshop.
To register offline, scroll down to link at page bottom right.
What to Expect
For experienced and new educators alike, this will be a week of professional and personal growth. Throughout the week, you'll find:
- Affirmation - of the good practices you are already using
- Solutions- for turning past classroom problems into future successes
- Camaraderie-with fellow educators as you share ideas, get support for your challenges, and feel the power of community membership
- An immersion experience-facilitators just don't talk about positive strategies; they model them. After you see the modeling, you'll have the chances during the week to practice the strategies yourself.
Most workshops begin at 8:00 a.m. and end at 3:30 p.m. Week-long institutes end at 12:30 p.m. on Friday. After you register, you will receive a confirmation email with more detailed information about the schedule for your particular course. The start and end time for on-site workshops may be altered to better suit the school schedule.
Sample daily schedule
8:10 Whole group session
8:30 Grade level sessions
12:00 Recess and Lunch (provided Monday- Thursday)
1:00 Grade level session
The workshop ends at 12:30 on Friday.
You'll spend most of your day with a group of up to 25 teachers who approximately the same grade as you. The classroom situations you discuss and the sample strategies you learn will be geared for the grade you teach. If you are a specialist, you'll have a chance to tell us which grade-level you want to be assigned to when you register, and you will be invited to a special session for specialists.
We provide morning snacks every day and lunch on the 3:30 dismissal days for off-site workshops hosted by Origins. Food arrangements for on-site workshops will be subject to the school agreement.
Continuing Education Credits
You will receive a 30-hour certificate of attendance for participation in the entire week.
Learn about graduate credit.
All our facilitators are experienced practitioners who know classroom life. All have gone through an extensive and rigorous multi-year certification process. This process ensures that they are well practiced in using the Responsive Classroom approach and skillful in teaching it to others. Some facilitators work full-time for Origins, doing professional development work year-round; others are classroom teachers who use the Responsive Classroom approach in their own classrooms. All share with you a love of learning, laughter, and children.
Learn more about Responsive Classroom core facilitators