Requirements for 2-credit and 2+1-credit work
Graduate credit is available for the week-long workshops (not one-day workshops), at additional cost.
- Attendance: All workshop sessions
- Reading: A book relevant to your week-long workshop, provided on the first day of the workshop, is included with your workshop fee.
- Journaling: Three journal entries are due during the week: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings. Journal entries may include
- reflections on philosophy and approaches learned in your workshop
- reflections on your previous practice, class discussions, readings
- plans for implementation of Developmental Designs or Responsive Classroom practices in your own work
2-credit Course: Action Plan
Choose an issue you want to address to improve your teaching practice, and design an Action Plan that uses one or more Developmental Designs or Responsive Classroom structures to address it. Attend a preparatory meeting during the workshop week to hear detailed instructions on how to create your Action Plan, and to ask questions. Hand in an Action Plan by the last day of the workshop week. If you print materials to hand in, do so in Times or Times Roman 12-point type.
+1-credit Course: Action Plan Project
The +1 credit is available only in addition to the 2 credits, not alone.
Stay in touch with your assigned advisor as you implement your Action Plan. Submit a final report on the results by mid-November.
Embed your training.
A Responsive Classroom 1 graduate student shares her experience creating and executing action research:
While attending the RC1 training I felt so motivated and passionate about what I was learning. Reflecting on my first year as a teacher and finding an area I would like to improve on was great. While I was writing and planning my action plan, it left me hopeful to the improvements I could make for this upcoming school year.