Developmental Designs for High School
Developmental Designs for High Schools was created specifically with students in grades 9-12 in mind. Research shows that engagement in school begins drop after 5th grade and continues through high school. 50% of students are either disengaged or actively disengaged (Gallup, 2015) by the time they leave high school.
Developmental Designs practices and principles are brain based and were created to engage students in high school classrooms in three important ways: Caring adult/student Community, Value and Engagement in Cognitive Learning for academic success and promoting proactive Social and Emotional Agency for all high school students as a necessary antidote for future achievements of their goals.
Creating a Supportive Community
- Discover how adolescents' developmental needs shape their learning
- Experience 4 important parts of an advisory program
- Learn ways to build and sustain effective learning community all day everyday
Delivering Motivating Instruction
- Learn the 10 ‘gold’ minutes for learning in each class period
- Experience several games, activities and brain breaks to energize and re-engage students
- Practice and build structures/routines to create effective social interaction
- Learn what research says about the most effective way to orchestrate a lesson
- Practice 5 types of teacher language that encourage as well as correct students – helps students see value in their interactions
- Learn the 4 needs that drive ALL student behavior
- Examine 3 structures to help students master learning routines
- Learn how to personalize discipline with dignity for every student