Developmental Designs 1
During this in-depth workshop, you will learn:
- Why social-emotional learning leads to academic achievement
- How adolescents' developmental needs shape their learning
- How to use advisory time to build a strong, socially-skilled learning community
- Practical structures to help students master learning routines
- How to guide students on a pathway to self-control that allows them as much independence as they can handle responsibly
- Ways to speak to students that encourage as well as correct them
- How to rally the whole school community around shared goals and guidelines
- Ways to energize students and use play to add pleasure to learning
- A structure for building the habit of reflection
This workshop can be presented on-site for your school staff. See School Services.
Note: Origins reserves the right to cancel workshops. Origins is not liable for any travel-related or other expenses incurred by a registrant or payee due to a canceled workshop.
What to Expect
Throughout this workshop, both new and seasoned educators experience personal and professional growth. You'll find:
- Affirmation - of the good practices you are already using
- Solutions- for turning past classroom problems into future successes
- Camaraderie-with fellow educators as you share ideas, get support for your challenges, and feel the power of community membership
- An immersion experience-facilitators just don't talk about positive strategies; they model them. After you see the modeling, you'll have the chances to practice the strategies yourself.
After you register, you will receive a confirmation email with more detailed information about the schedule for your particular course.
Sample Schedule for the Four-Day Workshop
Sample Schedule for the Eight-Evening Workshop
Lunch and continental breakfast will be provided daily. Eight week evening workshops will include a meal.
Dietary restrictions? Please let us know when you register. If we cannot accommodate your needs, you may bring your own meals. Lunch arrangements for on-site workshops will be subject to the school agreement.
Certificate of attendance
You will receive a 28-hour certificate of attendance for participation in all workshop sessions.
Learn more about graduate credit.
All our facilitators are experienced practitioners who know the middle school classroom. All have gone through an extensive and rigorous multi-year certification process. This process ensures that they are well practiced in using the Developmental Designs approach and skillful in teaching it to others. Some facilitators work full-time for The Origins Program, doing professional development work year-round; others are middle school classroom, teachers who use the Developmental Designs approach in their own classrooms. All share with you a commitment to fostering the well-being and academic growth of young adolescents.